Saturday, April 16, 2011

In The Hollow of His Hand

This morning when we woke, I could hear the wind blowing fairly hard. As we left the house this morning, I could see broken limbs scattered all over my lawn. Soon we were on a country dirt road on our way to a pancake breakfast. As we traveled along the road dipped down into a hollow. Suddenly were aware of the silence. No more wind, no more storm, it was like nothing was going on around us but pure silence, peaceful silence.


My mind thought of the words to Mildred Leightner Dillon’s song Safe Am I. “Safe am I, Safe am I, in the hollow of His hand…” All around us are the storms of life and the broken pieces the storms bring but as children of God, we have a place of shelter in the hollow of His hand. In the hollow of his hand we the find peace, comfort and safety our Savior brings by His presence.


The night of the resurrection of Jesus the disciple found themselves in one of life’s storms. They were gathered in an upper room for fear of the Jews and suddenly in their midst Jesus appeared and said, “Peace be unto you.” [John 20:19] Eight days later the same incident is repeated and again Jesus appeared in their midst and said, “Peace be unto you.” [20:26] The first time Jesus appeared he came to protect them from the storm of fear and the second time from the storm of doubt. The disciples found safety in the hollow of His hand.


How does in go with you during the storms of life? Are you safe in the hollow of His hand? Remind yourself of the words of Mildred Dillon’s song “Safe Am I” and you will find peace, comfort and safety because Jesus is keeping you safe in the hollow of His hand.

Safe am I, Safe am I, In the hollow of His hand; Sheltered o'er, sheltered o'er With His love forever more No ill can harm me, No foe alarm me, For He keeps both day and night, Safe am I, Safe am I, In the hollow of His hand.

1 comment:

Rev. Samuel M. Smith said...

Thank you so much for this information. I am in the final stages of preparing my life story manuscript for publication by Westbow Press this year and actually quoted the words of "Safe Am I; In the Hollow of His Hands"from memory. The title of my book? "Through It All IN THE HOLLOW OF HIS HAND." As a 74-year-old with 9 living children, six short-term missionary trips and many hundreds of thousands of gospel tracts in up to seventeen languages distributed over sixty years, I have been amazed at how often I have been at just the right place at just the right moment to fulfill a need, either for someone else or for myself.